Culture Recovery Fund Statement
We’re pleased to see announcements today from a number of organisations across the country who have been successful in receiving a further grant from the second round of the government’s Culture Recovery Fund.
Sadly, we were not one of those organisations. Earlier this week we were notified that our application had been rejected.
We are of course hugely disappointed.
It appears that our application was rejected on the basis that our 'plan B' (or in other words plans for what we do if restrictions are not eased as planned) was not detailed enough, even though we had no indication from Arts Council England on how long our 'plan B' would have to last for in this application.
Like many other theatres, our only option in this scenario is to remain closed and to either delay our re-opening schedule or to run more socially distanced performances to reopen more gradually and this is what we detailed within our application.
Having been closed for well over a year now we are already stretched to our financial and emotional limits and at a time when we needed this funding and support the most, it feels particularly unfair to reject our (otherwise extremely prudent) application on such a technicality and to offer no way for us to appeal the decision.
The show, of course, must go on.
So whilst we will try our best to appeal the decision, we will continue to focus our efforts on ensuring that we are ready for our grand reopening on 18th May with our brand new Summer Showtime and ask that you please consider coming to support us when we do open our doors again.
As always, we welcome all donations towards our efforts to keeping this beautiful original Edwardian building alive and look forward to seeing you all again in the coming months.
Stuart, Kevin, Luke & Alex